When it comes to my home and my family, safety is my number one priority.
A home security DVR system is the most cost effective way to protect your home or office. Using high quality cameras these devices can record hours of footage and set your mind at ease. Advances in technology and competition has also made it easier to find a good security camera DVR on a budget.
We picked the top 10 HD DVR systems based on their features, ease of use, capabilities and dependability. We have years of experience using residential and commercial DVR products, and have put that to good use here. To help you out we prepared detailed reviews of the top rated DVR surveillance kits available.
- Best Security DVR Comparison Chart
- #1. Annke DVR >Best Home Security DVR | Best 8 channel 8 channel surveillance dvr | best night vision with 100ft Range
- #2. Sansco DVR S4D4C1T FHD 1080P DVR 4 Bullet Cameras > Best Outdoor Wired Security Camera System with DVR
- #3. Zosi DVR: Cheapest Top Rated Security Camera System in CCTVs
- #4. Cobra 8 Channel Surveillance DVR with 4 HD Cameras and Mobile Monitoring Capabilities
- #5. AmcrestUltraHD DVR4MP 4CH Home Security Camera System > Best 4k HD DVR
- #6. Swann DVR 8 Channel 4 Camera Security System > Supports Alexa and Google Assistant
- #7. Smonet DVR > Best 16 channel DVR
- #8. Lorex DVR DV900 Series DV9082 8 Channel 4K HD MPX 2TB Security Camera System with remote viewing
- #9. Tigersecu Hybrid DVR Super HD 1080P H.265+ 16-Channel CCTV Kit > Supports Analog and ONVIF IP Cameras
- #10. HeimVision DVR HM245 8CH 1080P > Best 5mp CCTV camera system with Face Detection
- Best CCTV DVR Cameras Questions / FAQs
- What is a security DVR / What is a DVR security system?
- What is a DVR for CCTV?
- How do DVR security systems work/ How does a CCTV DVR work with security cameras?
- What is a car DVR camera?
- What is better NVR or DVR?
- Which security DVR is the best on the market / What is the best Security DVR brand?
- Where to install security DVR?
- How do I install a DVR security camera systems
- Where can I hide a security DVR?
- Can I use a security DVR to record TV?
- How do I connect security DVR to internet?
- How do I backup my CCTV DVR?
- How can I reset a security DVR?
- Are all security cameras compatible with all DVRs?
- Do I need a DVR for security cameras?
Best Security DVR Comparison Chart
No time to read the reviews and want to buy a DVR kit now? See the the comparison chart below.
|DVR Name||Key Features|
|ANNKE HD DVR||Night vision|
1 TB hard drive
|Sansco DVR S4D4C1T||Smartphone app support|
Smart motion detection
1080 video quality
|ZOSI 4CH HD-TVI DVR||Night Vision |
1080p Image quality
|Cobra 8 CH Surveillance DVR||8 channels|
Pre-installed 1TB HDD
Supports up to 4TB
|AmcrestUltraHD 4MP 4CH DVR||Ultra-HD 4 MP 1080p|
Free Cloud Storage
1TB Hard Drive
|Swann 8 CH 4 Camera HD DVR||1080p 1TB HDD|
Heat & Motion Detection
Pairs with Google Assistant + Alexa
|SMONET 16CH Expandable DVR||16-channels|
DVR Kits for Easy Remote Monitoring
|Lorex 4K HD DVR||Color night vision for low lighting|
Power over Ethernet connection
Flexible for use indoors or outdoors
Customized motion detection
Night vision range up to 130ft
|TIGERSECU Super HD 1080P DVR||H.265+ encoding|
5-in-1 DVR NVR Security Video Recorder
2TB Hard Drive
Supports Analog and ONVIF IP Cameras
|HeimVision HM245 8CH DVR||1080P Security Camera System|
5MP-Lite HD-TVI DVR
#1. Annke DVR >Best Home Security DVR | Best 8 channel 8 channel surveillance dvr | best night vision with 100ft Range
ANNKE 8 CH H.264+ security camera system is one of the few cameras that offer 8 channels After acquiring this system, you can use 4 pieces of 1080P HD wired CCTV cameras to survey your property with ease. Although they are not the most sturdily built units, you can use them both indoors and outdoors.
Most cameras with HD image quality don’t have great storage options, but this is not the case with ANNKE 8 CH. The security camera set provides you with 1TB hard-drive to store as much recordings as you want.
To optimize the storage capacity even more and record important events, the camera offers H.264+ encoding and motion detection, helping the camera record up to fifty days. At the same time, motion detection when used with remote access and email notifications will allow users to know if any suspicious activity is occurring in their absence.
Lastly, the camera’s night vision stands out as one of its best features. Given that it has a range of 100 ft supported by an angle of 82.2 degrees, it can record extensively even at night.
#2. Sansco DVR S4D4C1T FHD 1080P DVR 4 Bullet Cameras > Best Outdoor Wired Security Camera System with DVR
Sansco DVR S4D4C1T FHD offers an attractive deal to all users. Although the DVR unit itself does not have the best design with its front-facing buttons being audibly ‘clicky’, it can record high-quality video in Full HD.
Lacking the optimized storage capacity of the previous option, it doesn’t give 50 days of storage, but you can still enjoy 2-3 weeks of playback footage, which is generous for its price. However, you can extend that by tweaking the frames per second recorded in the image.
In terms of connectivity, the camera has HDMI and VGA for monitors, as well as an advanced mobile application called “Sansco’s XMEye app.” Being available on iOS and Android, the powerful app gives users a number of advanced features and helps them quickly flick between cameras and hit record. If you fancy an option to choose a white camera to match your house paint, the camera offers both black and white variants.
The Zosi 4-channel wireless camera setup offers a full 1080 HD image quality. With four weatherproof cameras, you can keep an eye on all four corners of your home by fixing these cameras outside the walls.
Since it is a wireless setup, there’s no need to worry about installation and configuring the cameras both bullet and dome variants will be extremely easy. Using the smart app offered by the camera system, you can see through the eyes of your cameras remotely and tune in into what it has recorded at any time.
The camera also prolongs video storage with the help of smart encoding H.265+. That said, the motion detection is overly sensitive some times and occasionally sends alerts even if I detects minimal movement outside.
Cobra 8 is one of the most advanced home checking apparatus in the market. Lined with many excellent features, it is a premium product that you should definitely get if you can match its extraordinary price point.
Coupled with the camera’s 1080P HD quality recording, the camera has extensive night vision capabilities that allow it to capture videos for a range of more than 100 ft. One of the reasons this cameras has one of the best night-recording features is that it has LED infrared lights enlightenment, which gives point by point highly contrasting recordings.
While there are many great security camera options in the market, not many of them, offer 4MP Ultra HD image quality like AmcrestUltraHD DVR4CH. It is truly a specialized camera equipped high-quality image capture at all times of day. The free cloud storage and the rare feature of two-way talk also puts this security system in the category of premium products.
Swann’s 8 channel 4K Ultra HD DVR system includes an advanced set of surveillance features that other camera systems rarely offer. Coupled with 1080HD image quality, the security system integrates with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.
With the help of True Detect heat and motion detection feature, users can benefit from auto recording, sensor lights, and push notifications. Although the unit is a little pricey, the range of features it offers justifies its price. Its highly advanced features also make it ideal for medium-sized premises like office buildings.
Available at a low price than most security systems, Smonet DVR offers many desirable features such as optimized storage through advanced H.364 encoding, remote surveillance, and decent night vision. If you’re looking for an option that supports 16-channel camera output for your home, then SMONET is one of the best options out there.
#8. Lorex DVR DV900 Series DV9082 8 Channel 4K HD MPX 2TB Security Camera System with remote viewing
Lorex’s 4K Nocturnal IP Camera gives its users night-vision that most cameras cannot match. With the help of features like Color Night Vision™, the camera can detect record colored videos even in low-lighting conditions. If conditions get too dark, it will skip color recording and switch to black and white night vision supported by infrared lighting.
These specialized features allow it to record videos at a distance of up to 130 feet. At the same time, Power over Ethernet (PoE) technology embedded in the system helps users store footage to the NVR. Although the customized motion detection sends you activity alerts, the security system offers limited smart home integration.
#9. Tigersecu Hybrid DVR Super HD 1080P H.265+ 16-Channel CCTV Kit > Supports Analog and ONVIF IP Cameras
TIGERSECU’s Super HD hybrid security DVR/NVR is a feature-rich hybrid digital video recording system that offers all the kind features you may expect from a top product. However, it also has some features that make such as recording analog cameras and ONVIF 2.0+ IP cameras simultaneously.
For maximum surveillance coverage, you can leverage its 16-channel option. Although high-quality recordings coupled with several cameras can put a strain on most security system storages, Tigersecu resolves this problem by 2 TB preinstalled storage and H.265+ encoding, the advanced version of H.264+ video compression.
HeimVision security camera system comes with a ton of features to provide you with top notch security. Its impressive line of features includes motion detection, face detection, night vision, 1080p video playback camera, remote access, and more. However, since it’s a relatively new player in the market, it still needs to be tested more before being tried out by other users.
Best CCTV DVR Cameras Questions / FAQs
What is a security DVR / What is a DVR security system?
A security DVR digitally records and stores footage. Modern DVR systems can be hooked up to PCs or MACs for viewing. Many also allow for remote viewing via smartphone apps.
What is a DVR for CCTV?
A DVR is a digital form of CCTV (closed circuit television). It is possible to upgrade your CCTV and turn it into a DVR. All you need to do is replace the VCR with a DVR.
How do DVR security systems work/ How does a CCTV DVR work with security cameras?
The process varies, but the general steps are the same. You connect the cameras to the DVR first. You then hook up the DVR to your network and the camera will start recording video on the DVR HDD.
The camera will keep recording until your HDD is full. After that the DVR either overwrites the old data or stop recording. You can view the data on your computer or view real time footage form your computer or mobile device.
What is a car DVR camera?
A car DVR or dash cam works like a DVR except it records from the perspective of your car’s windscreen. It is a handy tool to have just in case you get involved in an accident as it can show the court what really happened.
What is better NVR or DVR?
Both have their pros and cons. The biggest difference between the two is is that an NVR (network video recorder) uses IP cameras while a DVR uses analog CCTV cameras.
An NVR usually more flexible cameras with a higher recording quality. The setup is also easier. However an NVR uses more bandwidth and is more expensive. DVRs have more stable signals and is also compatible with more systems.
Which security DVR is the best on the market / What is the best Security DVR brand?
The best DVR home security system is the one that meets your needs. Make a list of the features that you’re looking for and use that as a guide to help you choose the appropriate DVR.
Where to install security DVR?
Your DVR should be installed in a safe and discreet location. It should also be stored near power sources as you’ll need to run the cable. You could also get extension cables of course. In any event, the master bedroom closet, cupboards or any place that people don’t usually visit.
Position the cameras strategically such as stairways, porches, driveways, windows, near the gate etc. The rule for indoor and outdoor camera positioning are the same: choose the spot where there is the most likely security threat.
How do I install a DVR security camera systems
- Sketch where you want the cameras to be installed. Select a discreet, high spot at last 10 ft high so intruders won’t be able to knock it down.
- Mount the camera in your chosen location and connect it to a power outlet.
- Wire the camera to your DVR. If you’ve got wireless cameras, use the accompanying software to link it up to your computer.
- Use HDMI or coaxial cables to connect the monitor to a DVR.
- Turn the unit on and test the feed. If you want remote access, download the accompanying app to your mobile device.
This is just a general guide to installing a DVR security camera system. You also need to check your owner’s manual for more specific details as DVR units have different specs and features.
Where can I hide a security DVR?
Place the DVR somewhere people won’t be able to tinker with it. If you’ve got remote access you probably won’t need to tweak the DVR that much since you can control it from your mobile.
While you want to keep the DVR in a discreet location, it shouldn’t be to such an extent you’ll have a hard time finding it.
Can I use a security DVR to record TV?
Yes. Majority of CCTV DVRs have a VGA, HDMI or video output. Connect the appropriate output to your television set and it should run fast. An Internet connection is not needed.
To record TV shows on the DVR.
- Turn the DVR off.
- Remove the screws on the RF input coaxial cable.
- Pull the video cable out if you don’t see an RF input. The video cable is at the input labeled composite video.
- Screw the coaxial cable end on the composite video or RF input. Use the remote to the cable on. Now you can start recording.
How do I connect security DVR to internet?
- Turn your DVR on and login.
- Go to the external device setting, choose TCP/IP setup and chose DHCP. Choose detect IP.
- Go back to the TC/IP screen and enter the IP address that was detected earlier.
- Download your DVR web service.
- Once you’ve connected the DVR to your local area network, you’ll need to configure port forwarding on your router. Your DVR owner’s manual has instructions for this.
- Go to your router. Change the setting so it designates the same IP to your recorder.
- If you’ve got a dynamic IP address you’ll need to configure that on your router so it works with your DVR.
- The last step is to set up your Internet connection so it works with the DVR. This information will be in your DVR owner’s manual.
How do I backup my CCTV DVR?
Most DVR security systems have USB port that can be used to back up the data on a USB drive.
- Go to DVR menu and choose backup.
- Select the backup schedule (month, day, hour) and select a format if you like.
- Select the camera that want to back up. A progress bar will appear as the backup process begins.
The backup feature on DVRs allow you to choose which parts of the footage to select. The time it takes to back up depends on the file size.
How can I reset a security DVR?
- Turn your DVR off.
- Press and hold any button on the remote or unit.
- Turn the unit on while still pressing that button.
- You may hear a beep or several beeps depending on the DVR model you’ve got.
- After the DVR reboots you’ll have to supply the password. Enter the username and password and change it if you want.
Are all security cameras compatible with all DVRs?
If your current security camera is an analog CCTV it should be compatible with your DVR. If your camera has a yellow connector then it’s probably a CCTV camera and should be compatible. You can also check the back of the camera if it has a TVL rating which states NTSC or PAL. If it does, it is an analog CCTV camera.
Do I need a DVR for security cameras?
Yes, because the DVR has the hard disk where the camera records and stores the footage. The DVR also has ports and inputs so you’ll be able to back up the footage, record TV and so on.
It can’t be stressed enough how important security is for your home and/or business establishment. The five DVR security systems were chosen here because they’re dependable and capable. But if I have to pick out a winner it’s the ANNKE HD DVR system.
The DVR has some of the clearest video resolution in the market, and its night vision is pretty good. Being able to upgrade up to 6 TB is another plus and the app is simple to use. For home or business security, the ANNKE delivers.