Our interest in home security systems comes from the reality that criminals are out there, and no matter how safe you think you are at home, a robbery can take place at any time. Think of this for a second – every 13 seconds, a burglary occurs. Over 2.5 million burglaries are reported to the police within the United States every year – 66% of these burglaries account for break-ins into a home. Unfortunately, only about 13% of these cases are ever solved by the police.
With these statistics in mind, it is no wonder that some people are finding it hard to sleep at night, keeping vigilant for unauthorized entry by criminals into their homes.
You obviously want to take extra precaution to ensure both you and your entire family can be kept safe, which is why a home security system can be a great way to add an extra level of safety for the entire home.
With so many security systems on the market, people often find it hard to determine what is the best one for their home. These security systems defer in features and pricing, and what works for one family might be an inappropriate option for another family.
We decided to look at some of the top security systems on the market right now to bring you the best home security system reviews that you can get.
Comparison Chart of the Top Home Security Systems
Reviews of The Best Home Security Systems
With multiple home security systems available, you should ensure you do thorough research on each company and take your own preferences and requirements into account. When you know what you are looking for before you set out to find a good company to provide you with home security features, it becomes easier to reach the right company to secure your home.
Below, you will find 10 of the best home security systems that you can subscribe to in 2019 to help you ensure your home and your family are kept safe.
After we have done extensive research on the companies that offer home security systems and services throughout the United States, we can confidently say that Vivint is the best option of them all. The service level, customer support, and the monitoring solutions presented by this company are unmatched by other service providers. The equipment offered at Vivint also easily connects with a range of home automation systems and will give you the ability to monitor various areas of your home, on the inside and out, simultaneously. For those who are on a budget, the entry-level plans that are offered at Vivint are very affordable, while higher level plans provide the customer access to high-end features and better integration with their existing smart home systems.
- An affordable option that offers plans from as low as $29.99
- Higher plans come with video monitoring features, as well as smart home integration
- Includes CO and smoke detection sensors
- Offers a mobile app for easy access no matter where you are
- An initial installation fee is charged, which is higher than some other systems
- Video monitoring, along with smart home integration, are only available on higher plans
- The high-end equipment offered at Vivint can be quite costly, depending on the specific options chosen
Frontpoint offers an affordable solution to people who want to secure their homes. They keep the upfront costs down by sending customers a DIY kit that comes with full instructions. Plans at Frontpoint start from around $34.99 and the customer service offered by the company is superior to many of the other companies that offer home security systems. In addition to the standard monitoring features offered at Frontpoint, customers also gain access to home automation features, as well as 4G cellular monitoring services.
- DIY installation of the security system was designed to be easy and beginner-friendly
- The system comes with protection against “crash and smash."
- Customer representatives are always available to provide support
- All plans come with a one-month guarantee and provide a full refund for unsatisfied customers
- The company does not offer landline monitoring services
- The basic plan at Frontpoint does not come with access to their mobile application
3. ADTNo products found.
ADT is probably the most popular option when it comes to home security systems. The company has been providing both security systems, along with professional monitoring services, for many years. While this company is known to offer an exceptional level of security, they are not the cheapest on the market. The company does make it very easy for the customer to gain access to customer support and provides a call-out service that will always respond whenever your alarm system is tripped. In addition to their excellent services and equipment, ADT is also known to provide customers with an additional theft protection coverage service.
- ADT is an established company with thousands of existing customers
- Comes with the addition of a $500 theft protection guarantee
- Landline monitoring and cellular monitoring services available
- Has access to emergency backup services when needed
- Lower end plan might be more affordable but does not include any of ADT’s convenient offerings
- A lower number of security cameras are installed with the ADT security plans
- Can become expensive when opting for add-on services
Linkinteractive offers a relatively affordable solution when it comes to installing a complete home security system, as the company charges a lower fee for the addition of services such as video monitoring, compared to competitors. The company is transparent with the services they offer and the prices they charge. Their contract periods are also shorter than most competitor companies, making this an excellent option for someone who does not want to sign a 36-month contract with a home security company.
- You can choose your preferred contract length, starting from 12 months
- Equipment packages that are available at Linkinteractive can be customized to your requirements
- There are no installation fees charged by the company
- Video monitoring services available at a reasonable price
- Customer support is not as good as some competitors, as 24/7 support is not available
- Customers need to buy equipment even if they decide to sign up for a longer contract period
Simplisafe is an ideal solution for people looking to secure their home on a smaller budget, especially when you are not looking to sign any type of contract with a home security company. All of the systems sold by Simplisafe are DIY systems, but they do come with a full set of instructions that are easy to follow. The equipment that comes as part of the system was also made to be as easy as possible to install and configure, which means you do not need any technical skills to use this company’s monitoring services.
- One of the cheapest solutions currently available
- Comes with a range of monitoring solutions and services
- There is no need to sign any kind of contract
- The system is easy to install without the need for a professional installation service
- Does not come with an outdoor camera
- The service features limited support for home automation systems
- The cheapest plan does not provide access to the mobile monitoring app
6. Protect America
Protect America has become a relatively popular option, especially for people who reside within a rural area of the United States. The company offers convenient add-on services that strengthen the security offerings they provide you with, such as broadband monitoring and landline monitoring. Basic equipment comes with some packages that are available at Protect America. In addition to these benefits, this company also does not charge the customer any type of installation fees or upfront fees in order to start utilizing their security services.
- The monitoring plans come with the required basic equipment to get started
- One of the few options left that offer landline monitoring services
- Compatible with Alexa and Z-Wave
- Home automation integration features are very limited
- Pricing plans are not as transparent as with other home security companies
- Customer service is not at the level of competing companies
Brinks introduces customers to two different home security services that can help them keep their home safe, along with a cost-effective self-monitored home security system that can help you save a lot on costs. This is an ideal option if you are looking to install your very first home security system. All of the equipment needs to be installed by yourself, but the devices are easy to get set up around the home and activation is also very easy. The company is also known for providing customers with a large range of discounts throughout the year, especially if the customer decides to sign a contract with them.
- When signing a contract, Brinks offer various promotional prices on equipment
- All equipment comes with a two-year warranty
- Monitoring services available 24/7
- ASAPer offers faster response times in cases where the alarm system trips
- Customers need to agree to a 36-month contract when they wish to obtain a discount on the equipment
- The company does not offer customers with window sensors if they opt for the lowest packages
8. Nest Secure
Nest Secure is a security solution for people who prefer to opt for higher-quality products. The equipment and services that are offered through Nest Secure are more expensive than many of the alternative options out there, but the quality and service level surpasses a lot of the competing home security companies. The system is compatible with a range of devices throughout the home that can be connected to, such as smoke detectors, smart thermostats, and more.
- Connects to existing Nest equipment
- Equipment sold by Nest Secure are all top-of-the-range
- Design of equipment is modern and unique
- Monitoring services provided through a trusted home security company
- The equipment available at Nest Secure is much more expensive than at other companies
9. ScoutNo products found.
Scout specializes in providing customers access to high-quality DIY home security systems that are all easy to install. Post-installation simply involves configuring and activating the system before the security system is ready to use. While the company focuses on providing customers access to a range of home security equipment, they also offer a variety of monitoring plans that can be used alongside the equipment offered.
- Installation of equipment is exceptionally easy and even appropriate for those who are not skilled in working with technology
- DIY monitoring solutions can help you save money
- There are no contracts to be signed
- Offers 4G and LTE cellular monitoring services
- Third-party equipment cannot be purchased without first subscribing to a security plan
- The variety of equipment available is rather limited
- There is no mobile or online control panel available
The last one of the top security companies for your home is Abode. This is an ideal option for you if you are looking for a professional home security solution that will not break the bank, while also being able to integrate with your existing smart home setup. There are many different plans to choose from, some of which can be great if you only want to test out the monitoring services offered at Abode.
- The mobile app is free to download and use (with some limitations)
- No need to sin any type of contract to get started
- Compatible with Z-Wave and Zigbee home automation systems
- Free plan does not come with customer support via the phone
- There is no option for adding an outdoor camera
Buyers Guide For Best Home Security Systems
When setting out to find an appropriate home security system to install in your home, we recommend that you take a few factors into account. These factors will essentially ensure that you opt for a system that will be able to provide your home with a better level of security. With the right system, you’ll have easy access to the monitoring devices installed at home, and you’ll be able to easily secure every possible way that burglars could enter your home.
Start by taking a look at what installation options the company offers that you wish to utilize for your home security system. Most companies will be able to assist in the installation of the system by sending out a professional to do the installation for you. This is very convenient and will ensure all of the devices and accessories that form part of the system will work perfectly before the professional who installs the system for you leave your home.
There are, however, some companies who will not offer you an installation service, but rather send a kit to you. The kit is then used as a DIY project to install the cameras, sensors, and other equipment yourself.
In terms of the installation options, there isn’t an option that is better than the other, as it ultimately depends on you. If you would rather install the system yourself, then opt for a security system that will allow you to do so. If you are not “tech savvy” and do not think you’ll able to perform the installation by yourself, then it would be a better choice to opt for a home security system that comes with a professional installation.
Just be sure to know that the majority of security companies tend to charge an additional fee, apart from the monthly security subscription fee, for the installation of their system.
Some of the home security companies will only provide a basic set of monitoring features, while others will have a larger variety of solutions to help maximize your security. Be sure to take the appropriate monitoring solutions offered by a company you want to sign with into account.
Ask the company what happens if alarm trips. There really is not much use in opting for a home security system where no one will respond in cases where the alarm will go off. Thus, ensure that a response team will be readily available to come to your property whenever the alarm is tripped. This adds an important level of security that you might need to rely on in some situations.
Also be sure to take a look at the sensors that come with the home security sensors. You will ultimately want to ensure every entrance into your home is adequately protected – this means adding both window and door sensors that can trip the alarm when unauthorized access is detected.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much will a home security system cost me?
The prices of these systems vary a lot and will also depend on what you need. There is usually a monthly fee that you need to continue paying in order to be covered by the security system that has been installed at your home. Some companies will require the upfront purchase of equipment, such as sensors and cameras, while others will include these pieces of equipment – in these cases, you will most likely have to sign a contract for a specified period of time with the company. An installation fee may also be charged
The installation of a home security system can help you sleep peacefully at night and will ensure that your family can be kept safe when the unexpected occurs, such as when you detect burglars trying to enter your home. There are many companies that offer these systems, along with monitoring services, but they are not all good. We’ve listed the best companies that you can opt for if you wish to secure your home by installing a security system. Over to you.