When it comes to keeping your home, yourself, and your family safe, most of us would do anything that we could to protect the people and the place that we love.
Having an alarm system and home security service is one thing, but in case those let you down and the response times aren’t fast enough, wouldn’t it be nice to have a backup form of security?
Did you know that in 2007 there were 3.7 million burglaries in the U.S? Of those burglaries, 28% of them happened when there was at least one member of the house home, and 7% of those resulted in some sort of violence from the burglar to one of the members of the household.
It has never been more important that we start ramping up our home security systems and IP security cameras so that we can make sure that you and your families are safe.
IP security cameras the perfect tool to make sure that your home, your family, your valuables, and your property are safe.
In complicated and unfortunate home break-in circumstances, having video evidence of your home is absolutely critical in making your case against criminals, and in protecting your best interests. Plus, it is just nice to be able to keep an eye on your home while you are away or out of the house.
If you have considered looking into a IP security camera for your house, but have had trouble with where to start in the process of shopping for one, here is our list of five of the best IP security cameras that you can use to protect your home.
Recommended Best IP Security Camera
1. Amcrest IP2M-841 ProHD 1080P (1920TVL) Wireless WiFi IP Camera
The Amcrest IP2M-841 ProHD 1080P (1920TVL) Wireless WiFi IP Camera is a really impressive IP security camera, for quite a few reasons.
Here are some of the features that we really enjoyed about this particular IP security camera.
- Full High definition 1080P recording at 30 frames per second
- You can record and export video on everything from a MicroSD card to Amcrest’s cloud video recording service
- Quick and easy Wifi setup so that you can immediately connect to your iPhone or android, via the Amcrest application.
- Streams video and two-way audio directly to your smartphone, tablet, mac, or PC.
- Shoots at a super wide 90 degree viewing angle so that you can capture a large area of a room or space, at one time
- Can change and control the viewing angle, pan, tilt, and zoom
- Features infrared LED night vision up to 32 feet
- Two way talk
- Smart motion alerts
- Email alerts and snapshots sent via email
- CE and FCC certified
- UL compliant
- One year US warranty and lifetime support
As you can see, there is a lot to love about this IP security camera from its smart alert functionality and night vision to its two way talk, and remote style panning, tilting, and zooming.
2. Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 1080P POE Dome IP Security Camera
The Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 1080P POE Dome IP Security Camera is yet another great security camera for making you feel safe.
This particular IP camera is weatherproof which makes it perfect for outdoor use.
Here are some of the key factors that we really liked about the Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 1080P POE Dome IP Security Camera and what this smart device has to offer.
- Full 1080P high definition recording with 2 megapixel video resolution at 30 frames per second
- Record and playback using an Amcrest or ONVIF NVR, FTP, or Blue Iris
- You can also record through Amcrest’s cloud service
- This camera is powered over ethernet (POE) and requires a POE injector or a POE switch to operate this camera. Neither one of these items are included with this IP camera, so you will have to buy them separately.
- Using the app or software, stream video directly to your iPhone, android, tablet, Mac, or PC
- 93 degree viewing angle
- Intelligent digital zoom
- Effective infrared night vision up to 93 feet
- Intelligent motion alerts where your camera takes a snapshot of what is happening, and sends the image directly to your email
- CE and FCC certified
- UL compliant
- One year warranty in the US and lifetime support through Amcrest
The extended distance view that this camera gets when it is viewing in infrared is really impressive.
3. Foscam FI8910W Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with Two-Way Audio and Night Vision
The Foscam FI8910W Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with Two-Way Audio and Night Vision is another great IP camera option if you are interested in protecting your home or personal space.
This is more of a stripped down and less expensive model when comparing it to the prior two IP security cameras.
- Infrared cut filter for true color video and images.
- Its infrared lights can be turned off manually from the software that you use with the security camera
- Improved audio quality to reduce noise when speaking directly into the camera
- WPA2 encryption supported
- It has an audio jack input that you can use with an external microphone to get better audio quality while using your IP camera
- 60 degree shooting angle with night vision infrared recording that is effective up to 26 ft.
- Includes motion alerts sent to your email
- Pan, zoom, and tilt functionalities are all included with this IP camera
- It seems like this unit is optimized for MicroSD recording
- Shoots 640 x 480
This particular IP camera doesn’t have the bells and whistles of the other cameras, but is much easier on the wallet. The biggest drawback of this camera by far is the lack of video quality.
4. Wansview Outdoor 720P WiFi Wireless IP Security Bullet Camera
The Wansview Outdoor 720P WiFi Wireless IP Security Bullet Camera is another weatherproof camera that would be perfect for either indoor or outdoor use.
It has a really sleek profile and unassuming design that makes it very easy to conceal.
Here are some of the features and qualities that we really liked about the Wansview Outdoor 720P WiFi Wireless IP Security Bullet Camera.
- Shoots in 720 HD at 30 frames per second for a crisp and clear video
- Streams smooth video to your iPhone, android, Mac, and PC
- An easy setup that basically gives you a plug and play IP camera. All you have to do is basically unpack the camera, download the Wansview app, scan the QR code on the bottom of the camera, and then it is ready for use.
- Waterproof rating up to IP 66
- Extremely durable and tight aluminum casing that prevents the camera from deteriorating and rusting
- The 36 infrared LED lights on this camera give it night vision up to 50 feet away
- Gives you high quality surveillance in the day and at night
- Supports remote viewing from a variety of different devices including android, iPhone, Mac, PC, and is compatible with Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer
For a simpler camera on the cheaper end of the IP security camera pricing scale, this particular model sure has a lot to offer.
5. IP Security Camera Reolink 4MP 1440P POE Security IP Camera Outdoor Fixed Bullet Camera
The IP Security Camera Reolink 4MP 1440P POE Security IP Camera Outdoor Fixed Bullet Camera will be our last stop on this security camera journey.
This particular IP camera has a brighter design, which definitely makes it stand out in amongst the rest of the bunch.
This camera appears to have a super surprisingly high resolution, especially for the reasonable price point. Let’s take a look at some of the camera’s key features, and some of the options that make this particular security device stand out in the pack.
- 4 megapixel super high definition monitoring system that is also capable of shooting 1080P or 720P
- This is another simple design, plug and play model that is really easy to setup and start using right out of the box.
- This IP security camera also includes a motion detection system that immediately triggers an email alert and an FTP upload
- Smartphone, Windows, Mac, and PC compatible so that you can view a livestream of your camera anywhere at any time
- ONVIF Support List: Blue Iris, Milestone, iSpy, Digital WatchDog, Video Sighthound, Security Spy (Mac), Synology (NAS), Qnap (NAS)
After taking a hard look at some of the best IP security cameras in the business, making a final decision on which one we liked the best was tough.
All are fairly similar in their functionality and what they have to offer, but what made some models stand out over others were the technical aspects that they offered.
In the end, we really liked the Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 1080P POE Dome IP Security Camera. It has superior HD quality, weatherproofing, wide angle shooting, high and far night vision visibility, and pretty much everything you need in an IP security camera, that you can get for a reasonable price.